Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Fascinating! Watching what you eat, actually works (Rice Recipe).

Eight days ago I started using the myfitnesspal website and app for my phone.  At that time, I had just completed a 3 day cleansing juice, and was trying to start eating better, exercising, and lose some weight.

That morning, Tuesday, July 10th, I weighed 265.4 pounds.  I decided I would, using MyFitnessPal's guidelines, attempt to lose 2 pounds a week, on an 1800 calorie a day diet.  I also decided I would stop using most pre-packaged process foods, and eat a primarily vegetable based diet.

Today, I weighed in at 261.8 pounds.  That's still a lot of weight, but it is heading in the right direction.  Since starting this 1800 calorie a day diet, I have only exceeded the limit once - and that was by only 6 calories. 

I have been religious about tracking my calories, and eating well, and it is changing me for the better.  Now, I need to start exercising more.

It has been blazing hot recently, here in the Central Valley, but yesterday and today are cooler.  Consequently, last night, Kasi and I took the dog out for a 33 minute walk at a 3 mph clip.  Not too far or fast, but, according to MyFitnessPal, enough to earn me 216 more calories.  I quickly used some of that up in my first glass of red wine in a few weeks.  Yum!  :)

Well, anyway, suffice it to say, I'm happy that things are moving in the right direction.

Yesterday's food intake was simple.  I had the usual morning breakfast and coffee.  For lunch, I took half of the bread I baked on Monday, Sliced it open, put a TBS of the Hummus I made on Monday on each half of the bread, added two slices of red tomato, a TBS of the diced roasted veggies we made on Saturday, and used on the pizzas, and added some fresh sliced red onion.

It looked like this:



I took it to work, and had it on my break.  It was delicious!

Dinner was simple as well.  I made some long grain white rice - incredibly easy.  For those who struggle with rice, here is the safest, fool proof method.

____________________________

Rice Recipe

1 Cup    Rice
2 Cups  Water (with or without a TBS of Olive Oil, or Butter), or your choice of broth.

Take out a smaller saucepan that has a tight fitting lid.  pour the rice in the pan.  Add the two cups of liquid (make sure it is to cups, which is 16oz.  Broth comes in15oz cans, usually, so you have to add 1oz of water.)

Place pan on burner, and set the heat to HIGH.  Bring the rice and water to a good boil, then cover the rice with your tight fitting lid, and immediately reduce the heat to LOW, as low as you can get it.

Set a timer for 20 minutes, and walk away.

Do NOT lift the lid until the timer goes off.  when the timer goes off, you can lift the lid, and fluff the rice with a fork.  Serve immediately.  If you are not ready to serve, recover the rice.

______________________

Now, where was I?  Oh yeah, dinner.

While the rice cooked, we took three tilapia filets out of the oven, sprayed a small casserole dish with Pam, and placed them in a 350 degree oven.

These filets are delicious.  They are the Kirkland Pesto Tilapia filets, sold at Costco.  Really good.

Once those were in the oven, we trimmed some raw broccoli, about 2 Cups worth, and placed it in a bowl with a little water, partially covered them with another plate, so it could vent the steam, and cooked it in the microwave for about 4 minutes.

My plate, which was 568 calories, is pictured below.  It consists of 1.5 Cups of rice, two tilapia filets, and a cup of the steamed broccoli, all topped of with a very light dusting of garlic salt.

Simple, and delicious

No comments:

Post a Comment