Monday, July 23, 2012

A different, but still delicious, Sweet Potato Chili.

I hope everyone had a great weekend, I know I did.

We went out for Sushi, on Friday night, for the first time in weeks.  I went a little over my 1800 calorie diet, but it was worth it.  Saturday was primarily left overs, but I backslid a little, and had a McDonald's ice cream cone.  Tasty, but, frankly, not worth it to know I had eaten a lot of processed non-sense.

Oh well.  I got it out of my system.

Sunday night was different though.  Kasi made another delicious, but very different from last week, Sweet Potato Chili (recipe below).  While the other was slow cooked, this is quick - 30 minutes or so, and is designed to be served over cooked Couscous.  It was very tasty.

Here is a picture of the finished chili.



Sweet Potato Chili

2 Tbs                  Olive oil
1                         Onion, chopped
1                         Red bell pepper, cored and chopped
1 tsp                   Garlic, minced
1 Tbs                  Chili powder
1 tsp                    Antjo chili powder
1 tsp                    Smoked Paprika
1.5  lbs                Sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks, about 4 cups
1 (14.5 oz) can    Diced tomatoes
1 (15 oz) can       Chipotle Pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups           Water, or vegetable broth
3 cups                 Couscous, cooked


In large pot, heat oil and sauté the onion, bell pepper, and garlic, over medium heat, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the chili powders and stir, for about 30 seconds.

Add the sweet potatoes, tomatoes, beans and broth, and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat, and simmer for 25 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender.

Serve over cooked couscous.



1 comment:

  1. I also added a tsp of smoked paprika and we didn't have the fire roasted tomatoes, but I figure the smokiness of the paprika and the ancho chili powder made up for it.

    ReplyDelete