Tuesday, January 8, 2013

LeKue Steam Case prepared Mustard Encrusted Tilapia Filet

Some of you may know that one of my day jobs is selling cookware for Sur La Table's fresno store,  In the last two weeks we started selling a very interesting new line of products by LeKue.  These products are manufactured from 100% Platinum Silicone, a medicinal grade of silicone, and are BPA free.  They claim they will cook efficiently in the microwave, or, in the oven, placed on a middle rack.  Needless to say, I was intrigued.  I purchased the 1 quart "Steam Case with tray."  It comes with a few recipes, and I decided to try a fish filet in the microwave.

Out of the box it looks like this, green, with two wing like covers, and a clear silicone tray in the middle.  I took a frozen Tilapia filet from the freezer and let it defrost along side the steam case.


I removed the tray to get ready to cook.


I poured a little balsamic vinegar in the bottom of the steam case (their recipe called for white wine, which might have worked better, but I didn't have any) and added 3 peeled garlic cloves.



I replaced the tray, over the vinegar and garlic, to wold the filet.


I added the defrosted filet, and added salt & pepper, like their recipe suggested.


Their recipe called for spreading "Ancient Grain Mustard" on top, but I don't have any handy.  I chose to use my Guinness Stout Mustard, that I told you how to make in a blog post, here.


Then, I closed the wings, put it in the microwave, and cooked it for the 5 minutes the recipe called for.


During the 5 minutes of cooking there were some ominous popping and gurgling noises coming from the microwave, but there were some delicious aromas emanating as well, so I let it run, assuming it was the mustard seeds exploding.  I removed it from the microwave and placed it on the counter, opened its wings, and admired the finished product.


I removed it from the steam case, placed it on a plate, and poured the balsamic vinegar and garlic cloves over the top.


The nicest thing is that clean up is simple.  I just threw it in the sink, rinsed it a little, and placed it in the dishwasher - and it came out perfect.


As for the food itself, it was, for the most part, perfectly cooked and delicious.  My only complaint was there was a hard crust that formed on one edge of the filet.  The center, and the other 80% of the filet was cooked perfectly, but there was a tough portion.

Was that a function of the filet, not enough liquid, or now an even spread of the mustard, it is hard to tell without further attempts.  It was tasty, efficient, with minimal prep or clean up, and that is hard to argue with.

I will keep using it, and consider the other pieces in the line as well - the steamer pot insert, a silicone cooking pot, and a 1.5 quart steam case, designed to cook 3-4 servings.

It is an excellent product when you are in a hurry, for sure, or when you are slightly ill, and lazy, like I am right now.  :)

Enjoy!
 Ingredients:

1 6oz Tilapia Filet
3 Tbs Balsamic Vinegar
3 cloves Garlic
3 Tbs Whole Grain Mustard

Serves 1 by itself, or two with a salad and a starch.  I'd suggest Couscous.

No comments:

Post a Comment